Chinese Long Term Private (S1) Visa Application Requirements
Chinese Long Term Private (S1) visa required for applicants who intend to live with immediate family members who are foreigners working or studying in China. “Immediate family members” refers to spouses, parents, children under the age of 18 or parents-in-law. S1 visa is usually issued for a single entry with duration of stay of 000. After obtaining S1, they must enter China within 90 days after the visa was issued and must register at local public security bureau within 30 days of arrival in China. S1 visa allows multiple entry for one year or longer. S1 visa is not guaranteed. Chinese Consulate may issue a S2 (short term) visa instead at their discretion. The requirements for Short Term Private (S2) visa are detailed below.
Do not staple any of the documents together. The Consulate will reject all stapled applications. Paperclips may be used.
1: Original Passport Plus a Photocopy of the Name Page
- Please include the original passport. The visa will be printed on your passport.
- It is recommended that passports have at least 12 months left before expiration.
- The passport should have at least 2 blank visa pages. Please keep in mind, this does not include the last 3 pages, as
- those are reserved by the US Department of State.
- If you have previously held a Chinese Visa, please provide a photocopy of previous Chinese visa.
- If previous Chinese visa is on an old passport, photocopy of old passport is required.
- If you have a VALID Chinese visa on an old passport and would like to apply for a new visa, you will need to submit both
- old and current passport.
- Non-US passport holders must provide a photocopy of their proof of legal stay in the US. Green card, full copy off I-20
- or long term US visa such as: L, H, F, TN. B1/B2 visa will not be eligible. Please do not send original unless
- the Chinese Consulate specifically request it.
Certain Non-US passport holders cannot apply for a visa through third parties and must apply in person at the Chinese Consulate/Embassy. The following includes, but not limited to:
Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Cameroon, Congo, France, Ghana, Iran, Iraq, Nepal, Nigeria, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Mauritania, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Turkey, Uzbekistan
2: Your Visa Application Form
- Complete this application on your computer, print it out, and sign it. Do not fill out this application by hand, it will not
- be accepted.
- All fields must be completed. If a section does not apply to you, type in “None” or “N/A.”
- Incomplete forms, or forms with corrections will be rejected by the Consulate.
- Print out the application on single-sided pages.
- Do not staple the application together, it will be rejected. The application could be kept together with a paperclip.
3: One Recent Passport Photo
- The photo needs to contain your full face on a white background.
- The photo cannot be older than 6 months.
- Your local drugstore (such as Walgreens or CVS) are great places to get a passport photo taken.
- Please attach the photo to the application with a paperclip. Do not staple.
4: Invitation Letter from Host in ChinaAn invitation from the family member residing in China.
The invitation letter must contain:
- Personal information of the applicant (name, gender, date of birth, passport number).
- Information on the visit (purpose of visit, date of arrival/departure, place and duration of residence, between applicant and host, financial source for expenditures).
- Information of the host (name, phone number, address, and signature).
5: Identification of Host in ChinaA photocopy of the host’s passport and photocopy of host’s Chinese permanent residence permit are required. Photocopy of supporting paperwork is also required, such as Work Permit for Z visa or JW202 and Admission Letter for X visa. Samples:
6: Proof of Kinship
- Photocopy of document proving the family relationship between the applicant and inviting individual. This can
- be a marriage certificate, birth certificate or notarized certificate of kinship.
Select your passport type:US Citizen or Non-US Citizen We currently offer a Visa Package that includes return shipping!
Current packages offered:Basic Visa Package or Express Visa Package You have the option to include your own prepaid label with your application or purchase from our website. Please see Shipping.
8: Additional Requirements For Each Consulate
9: Special Requirements for Minors
- If the applicant is under the age of 18, a copy of the birth certificate and both parents’ passports name page is required.
- One of the parents must sign the form using the parent’s name in section 4 and 5.
- A notarized letter of consent may be required for minor applicants if the parents is not also applying for a visa.
- Please include a copy of order confirmation email with your application.
- If you need to ship back to an international address, please call or email us for quote.