How to Apply for China Journalist Visa (J1/J2)

Valid Passport: Your passport must have at least 6 months remaining validity and two blank visa pages.

Chinese visa application form: Complete the application on your computer, print it out, and sign it. Do not fill out this application by hand. Do not use digital signatures. All fields must be completed. If a section does not apply to you, type in “None” or “N/A.” Once the form is completed, do not click on continue. Click on Save and provide us with the application number and passport number. Your application form must be reviewed by us.

Passport-type photograph: 1 (taken within 6 months)

Proof of residency. A copy of driver’s license, state issued ID, or major utility bill (Water, Gas, Electric, Sewage) for the most recent month, showing the applicant’s name and current address.

Visa Notification Letter. Issued by the Information Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in China and an official letter issued by the media organization for which the journalist works.

Additional requirements for applicants born in China, Hong Kong, Macau, or Taiwan

Note: If your old passport has not been canceled, you will be required to submit the original passport with your application.

Maximum stay in China: 15 days

The consular office will make the ultimate decisions on whether or not to grant a visa and allowed validity, duration of stay and number of entries based on individual application.