Chinese Student (X) Visa Application Requirements

Important: As the Consulates reopens, there is no guarantee how many entries and the length will be issued with visas. More information will be released in the coming weeks or month.

China Student visa (X) visa is required for individuals who have been admitted by a college or university in China. Student (X) Visa is divided into two types: X1 and X2. An X1 visa is issued to students who will be studying in China for more than 6 months. X2 visa is issued to those who will be studying for less than 6 months. X1 visa usually allow you to stay in China for up to 60 days per visit, and allow multiple entries for a term up to 5 years. An individual that holds an X1 visa must register at local public security bureau within 30 days of arrival in China. A Chinese Residence Permit will be issued to replace X1 visa. An X2 visa is usually issued for single entry for a term up to 6 months. The requirements for Student (X) visa are detailed below.

Do not staple any of the documents together. The Consulate will reject all stapled applications. Paperclips may be used.

1: Original Passport Plus a Photocopy of the Name Page

Certain Non-US passport holders cannot apply for a visa through third parties or are blocked entry to China: we recommend to send an email inquiry or wait for Consulate announcements.

2: Your Visa Application Form

3: One Recent Passport Photo

4: Address Verification

5: JW201 or JW202 Issued by the State Education Ministry of China

JW202 Sample:

6: Admission Notice from School in China

Sample of Admission Notice:


7: Where You Stay From

  • Print and complete the Where You Stay From form: Click Here

8: Payment

Purchase service through this link: China Visa Service

Fees include consular fee, our service fee and free FedEx Express Saver return shipping. If you want to upgrade shipping, you can purchase from our website. Please see Shipping.

9: Additional Requirements For Each Consulate

Main requirements for Chinese visa are usually the same across the Chinese Consulates, however, there are some certain requirements for each Chinese Consulate. Please visit Additional Requirements Based on Jurisdiction to see if any of the listed rules apply to you.